Multi-tenant SaaS platforms are awesome, primarily due to lower costs and minimal setup and maintenance overhead. However, these advantages come at a price - you sacrifice customization and control. This is true of Shippable’s multi-tenant platform as well. One, we disable SSH access to our build minions because of security concerns. Second, while we let you use custom docker containers, we still need to make sure they are ‘okay’ to use in our system.
While these are perfectly acceptable limitations for a lot of folks, we want to be the kind of platform that leaves no developer behind. We understand that ideally, all developers want full control over the machines that are building and testing their code. Some even go so far as to reject multi-tenant hosted solutions, preferring to bear the overhead of setting up and maintaining their own Jenkins setup.
What if you had all the benefits of a hosted service and still had full control? We’ve built just that with Dedicated Hosts!
- the ability to 'attach' one or more machines to your Shippable org or individual profile, creating a fully functional, dedicated test lab in a few minutes!
- the best of both worlds - hosted orchestration with a dedicated build system.
- complete control over your build machines.
- ability to use custom docker images. No restrictions.
- ability to keep your code within your firewall. We support both cloud and on-premise hosts.
Without further ado, let’s jump in and see how it all works!